Here, I am going to show you the step-by-step guide of how to add Google Analytics to your WordPress site without installing a plugin.
Offered by Google, Google Analytics (we usually call it as GA) is a freemium web analytics service, helping site owners track traffic and know websites better. So, once your WordPress site is created, the second thing you need to do is to add Google Analytics to your site.
* Although there are some tools available that can be used to track and report your WordPress site traffic, Google Analytics is still the best choice that I highly recommend. You can directly search and install a plugin for Google Analytics in your WordPress site, letting you save a lot time and efforts.
- The number of plugins installed on a WordPress site will affect site’s speed and performance.
- You may lose or reset the tracking code when you switch themes or change settings.
In fact, it’s extremely easy to add Google Analytics to WordPress, even the newbie like me can make it. Ok, let’s go, and see how to easily add Google Analytics to WordPress site without installing a plugin.
How to Add Google Analytics to WordPress Site
1. Sign in (your Gmail account) continue to Google Analytics
Gmail account would be needed to access all Google services. To use Google Analytics, you have to create a Gmail account if you don’t have one.
2. Go to Admin, in the lower left corner of the page
3. Set up Account
- If it’s the first time to use Google Analytics, choose “+Create Account” and setup your account by filling up Account Name, property including Website Name, Website URL, Industry Category and Reporting Time Zone.
- If you already have a GA account, and want to track another website data, choose “+Create Property” and set up your property.
4. Click “Get Tracking ID”, and you’ll get the tracking ID and codes for the property.
5. Login to your WordPress site dashboard, and go to Appearance > Editor > Theme Header
6. Paste the Google Analytics tracking code before the </head> tag.
7. Click “Update File” button to save changes.
That’s it, you just add Google Analytics to a WordPress site without installing a plugin successfully. Now, you can back to Google Analytics, and send test traffic under Property Settings > Tracking Info > Tracking Code. And check the result in Google Analytics 4 to 8 hours later.
By using Google Analytics, you can track the very useful information like audience, acquisition, the behavior of visitors, where are they from, when do they visit, what devices they use and much more. Go explore more about Google Analytics and make your WordPress site better.